[FFmpeg-devel] Output to text file from filter

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Tue Jul 10 16:21:18 CEST 2012

Le tridi 23 messidor, an CCXX, Mark Himsley a écrit :
> I want to put BBC R&D's shot change detector into FFmpeg as a filter.
> but, I need to know the frame number of the frames that were picked.
>
> I'm not sure that just outputting to the log output is right for
> that, so I'm thinking I should output to a "sidecar" file.
>
> I've had a look, but I haven't found examples of that in FFmpeg.
> Does anyone have a pointer to a file I can reference to ensure I do
> it the FFmpeg way? Or suggest why I'm a mad-man?

We currently have blackframe and blackdetect (why two of them? there is
something fishy here), and they output to the log. There are also showinfo
and ashowinfo, but IMHO they are meant as debugging tools, so they may not
count as an argument.

If you want to start a reflexion on how to do things better, you are very
welcome.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George