[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Filters loglevel

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jul 13 12:23:33 CEST 2012

Stefano Sabatini <stefasab <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Anton recently decreased the informational loglevel of many filters
> from INFO to VERBOSE, with the purpose of decreasing the clutter we
> currently have in the log

I did not look at all at the patch, but in the past, some similar
changes have been very bad (removing the absolutely necessary
information for debugging).

> (it has been observed that verbose output
> has the tendency to make users hopeless about even trying to decode
> all the noise, and thus ignoring the really important messages).

I believe that is why errors nowadays show in red etc.
I honestly don't think that argument is valid anymore.

In the specific case, you have to decide if you need the information
to understand a user report or not. Generally, I believe that one
line that is only shown once for the whole transcoding on
initialization is ok (and actually wanted), repeated messages like
in some ticket I cannot find atm is not ok.

Carl Eugen