[FFmpeg-devel] API support for on the fly re-configuration of video encoders

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:47:49 CEST 2012

On date Tuesday 2012-07-17 16:27:16 +0100, declan harrison encoded:
> Hi
>
> Some encoders provide the ability to reconfigure the encoders
> mid-stream, most notably libx264 has this ability (over 2 years now)
> via the call to x264_encoder_reconfig. See
> http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/286.
>
> I think it would be useful if the ffmpeg API supported this ability to
> do this. So for encoder that dont support this, then a call would be a
> no-op.
>
> Do you gusy think this would be a useful feature?

I like the idea (indeed seems to be a popular feature request,
e.g. for adaptive streaming and stuff), feel free to file a feature
request on trac or even better, provide patches/sponsors for doing
it.

(BTW I'm thinking to create a kickstarter section on the - still
missing - donation page ;-)).
--
FFmpeg = Funny and Fantastic Mind-dumbing Ponderous Eccentric Gem