[FFmpeg-devel] Understanding lavfi's permissions system (was: lavfi/audio: fix size of copied samples.)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jul 27 23:10:08 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39:41AM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le sextidi 6 thermidor, an CCXX, Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
[...]
> The core of the problem resides in the fact that the lock is in the
> reference, and so can only be acquired when no parallelism is possible, i.e.
> when the buffer is created. I do not think we can go around this without
> altering the API.

I have just realized this is not completely correct.
Consider a buffer that has a reference count of 1 (and "we" are the
owner of that 1 reference) in that case we can get all permissions
back that the underlaying storage space allows

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.