[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Format of packets for text subtitles

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Jun 10 13:59:36 CEST 2012

Le primidi 21 prairial, an CCXX, Wolfram Gloger a écrit :
> Why can't we?  There simply is no other way.  Teletext/DVB subtitles are
> in practice never longer than 20sec, at least I haven't seen any.

There is a latency problem: when playing from network or from a slow media,
we do not want to delay for no good reason, and a player does not need to
know the end timestamp of a subtitle to start displaying it, and even less
to ignore it.

Possible solution: if the format requires the duration/end_time and it is
not provided, then let the muxer queue the packets before output. And
_optionally_ do the same in the demuxer if the format does not provide them.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George