[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Submit a Logo Wiki Page

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sat Jun 23 23:43:45 CEST 2012

Hi Stefano!

Stefano Sabatini wrote:
[...]
> I wonder if we're not abusing trac for this.
>
> What I mean is that a ticket should be something which we can be
> declared fixed at some point, it's not a generic container for
> resources.
>
> What I suggest is to create a logo/art contest from time to time, and
> to add resources to the *single* ticket, when the contest is finished
> and there is a winner, then the ticket is marked as closed (but
> resources are archived there).
>
> For example: we create a contest for the autumn logo, we add a news
> entry on the website and ask people to partecipate and add resources
> to the mentioned ticket.
>
> I believe this has also the advantage that it is easier to compare
> different proposals, since they're archived in the same place,
> partecipants can easily track only that without the need to poll other
> resources in the website/ML), and (which is important from the
> psychological developer point of view) we don't create immortal
> tickets which increase the total open ticket count forever.

  Not sure what you are aiming it. Of course tickets should be closed
when the contest is over. Or if the purpose of the ticket is to create
a specific artwork, the ticket should be closed when that work is
considered finished.

  For accumulating everything in one ticket. Not sure if it should
is always for the better. If we do it like this year, it could have
benefits. The news entry could be created when the contest is started,
and a link to that ticket collecting the submissions could be provided
there to make it easy for artist to simply upload their work there.

  IIRC the first idea was to have people upvote the tickets on trac,
which I admit is possibly too much abuse of that trac feature.

  Alexander