[FFmpeg-devel] drop entire frame when RTP packets are lost

Martin Carroll martin.carroll at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Jun 29 19:41:06 CEST 2012

[Please forgive me if this issue has already been discussed -- I am
new to ffmpeg-devel.  I could not, however, find any discussion on
this topic on this list in the past year, so here goes.]

In the current design of ffplay/ffmpeg, when an RTP packet is
lost, the containing -- and incomplete -- encoded frame is still
passed along to the decoder.  I have implemented a patch that
has the read thread keep track of how many packets are missed,
and when any are missed, the entire containing frame is dropped
(that is, never makes it out of the read thread).

I would be happy to send this patch upstream, or discuss it
further if anyone likes.

(The patch touches six files and about 25 lines of code.)

Martin Carroll