[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2012

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Fri Mar 2 20:05:09 CET 2012

I'm not sure if I'm giving the right kind of "review," or if some of the
things I'm pointing out even matter, but here goes:

> * Organization description
>
> FFmpeg is a complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and
> stream audio and video. It includes libavcodec - the leading
> audio/video codec library.
>
> FFmpeg is possibly the most ubiquitous multimedia framework in the
> FLOSS world, is used as the multimedia engine for a significant part
> of multimedia applications, and provides the backend of possibly the
> most part of Internet-based multimedia transcoding services.
>
> FFmpeg strives at being the *universal* multimedia tool, so it aims at
> implementing all possible multimedia formats (even the most oscure

*obscure

* What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?

> In case of a disappearing student, we'll try to get in communication
> with him/her using all the possible channels at our disposal, in case
> the student won't get reachable in a reasonable amount of time we'll
> declare his/her task failed.
>
> "won't get reachable" sounds confusing.  Maybe "and in case the student
can't be still reached within a reasonable amount of time,
we'll declare his/her task failed."?

> * What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
>  project's community before, during and after the program?
>
> We'll encourage the student to idle on IRC and we'll request them to
> read and possibly participate to discussions on the main development
> mailing-list. On the other hand we'll let students choose the
> communication means which better suit them (email, IRC, direct voice
> call or whatever, public or private communication, agreed with the
> mentor).
>
> We should also try to create a friendly environment where the student

"We will" instead of "We should"?

DON'T APPLY

I feel like "does not apply" is more grammatically correct than "don't
apply."

If this wasn't the kind of review you had in mind for this, then ignore me
:)

--Michael Bradshaw