[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2012

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 15:37:07 CET 2012

On date Tuesday 2012-03-06 23:53:32 +0100, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> On date Tuesday 2012-03-06 19:43:33 +0100, Stefano Sabatini encoded
> > On date Monday 2012-03-05 22:58:05 +0100, Alexander Strasser encoded:
> [...]
> > Fixed locally, will finalize and send the application soon (note: I
> > can edit the application text even after I send it).
> >
> > Thanks all for your feedback.
>
> Application submitted.
>
> Check timeline here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
>
> Applications evaluation will start on 12th of March and will last
> until 16th of March, in which date the list of accepted organizations
> will be published.
>
> In the meanwhile, I invite candidate mentors to fill our ideas page
> here:
> wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_of_Code_2012
>
> or contact us on this mailing list if you want to propose more ideas.
>
> (I'll ping this request a few times before the evaluation period
> starts.)

PING!

Tomorrow the application evaluation process will start, and we still
have only two mentored tasks.

As already said, the chance of the application approval much depends
on the quality and on the number of proposed tasks, so please add and
entry in in that page if you feel like you want to mentor a project,
and do it *as soon as possible*.

Note also that mentors from other multimedia projects are welcome
(VLAN, MPlayer, GStreamer, you name it) so contact us on IRC or in
this list if you want to mentor an FFmpeg task which is of interest
to your project.

What does it take to mentor a task? It usually requires around 5 hours
per week, you may need to chat on IRC with your students and review
and comment patches and RFCs.
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#time_mentor

For more info check the rest of the FAQ.

Busy people can establish a quota for the time dedicated to their
student, the student is supposed to be mature enough to be able to
work as independently as possible, usually working on his/her git repo
and sending patches from time to time to the main development mailing
list.
--
FFmpeg = Foolish & Fostering Multimedia Peaceless Ephemeral Gadget