[FFmpeg-devel] Static Link library exception to LGPL

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue May 22 10:47:14 CEST 2012

Krishna <krishnaks <at> iwavesystems.com> writes:

> We are using ffmpeg library as a closed source in our IOS
> application for H264 decoding.

It is not legal to distribute FFmpeg binaries as closed source.

> Our client does not want out code to make open source and
> because of nature of IOS packaging this will be static
> linked library.

There is no conflict between the LGPL and static linking.

> Can we get exception to the LGPL license for this static linking?

Please understand that there are probably several thousand
copyright holders, so it is simply impossible to license FFmpeg

Simply follow the license compliance checklist on
http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html skipping point 2, instead offer object
files of the application together with the FFmpeg source to allow

Carl Eugen