[FFmpeg-devel] Relicensing filters and general approach to crowd funding

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri Nov 2 13:57:38 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> First of all, would someone be willing and able to find a price that
>> would make the copyright holders agree to relicensing? If none of the
>> developers would like to that, would it be considered appropriate if I
>> wrote to the (according to the source I think 5) copyright holders to
>> ask them?
>
> Maybe you could ask the developers if they'd be ok if you relicensed
> it to LGPL? Or maybe you've already tried that?
No, I haven't because I think the value of the particular filters is
significant and I simply didn't dare to ask them to give them away
since I am asking because I want to use the filters in a product and
therefore I am willing to and think it is fair to pay for relicensing.
In this case I just think more people (like you obviously) would pay a
bit for this to happen and this could be a good opportunity for the
project to gather money.

Since nobody else reacted, I will probably write to the copyright
holders myself and ask them, what fair conditions would be for a
relicensing and then either pay or attempt to raise the requested
money if a price is agreed upon. We will see.

> Anyway I'd be willing to pitch in a few bucks :)

Good to know :-). I'll let you know if anything happens on this front.