[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Better modularization and extension of docs - 2

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:57:18 CET 2012

On date Tuesday 2012-11-20 22:55:46 +0100, Clément Bœsch encoded:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 01:52:48PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
[...]
> > My planned solution at this point would be:
> >
> > - ff* tools manual pages
> >
> > - components manual pages: codecs, formats, devices, protocols,
> >   filters, bitstream filters, syntax, eval (or syntax containing eval)
> >
> > - lib*.texi pages with a short library description and link/mention to
> >   doxygen documentation, converted relevant doxygen in the best case,
> >   but this could be technically difficult to achieve
> >

> Sounds pretty sane overall, except for the syntax dedicated manpage for
> which I'm a bit uncomfortable.
>
> > I'm not sure how to deal with libswrescale and libswresample. Having a
> > separated ffmpeg-scaler and libswscale, and ffmpeg-resampler and
> > libswresample pages may be a bit overkill.
> >

> For users, these libraries are only accessible through the filters. Usage
> will be documented there.

I dislike the idea of documenting scaler and resampler options in
filter documentation. There may be other internal components in the
future (or a third party app) relying on those options. Also note that
libswscale and libswresample options *are* accessible through ffmpeg.

On the other hand having libswscale/resample.texi and
ffmpeg-scaler/resampler.texi seems a bit overkill, but I think it is
the more consistent scheme.

FFmpeg = Forgiving and Forgiving Mean Programmable Ecstatic Gymnast