[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AST subtitles

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Nov 25 23:28:16 CET 2012

Le quintidi 5 frimaire, an CCXXI, Clément Bœsch a écrit :
>    Now that AVPackets contains the pts and duration, I think it's wise to
>    make the ASS and Matroska demuxers output these packets in a proper
>    format. We will need to change a few things such as making the ASS
>    muxer add the timing, and remove the hack from the Matroska muxer.
>
>    I don't mind doing this, but since it will change the layout of the
>    packets, it will break application expected ASS line and not ASS raw
>    packets. Any opinion?

My plan about that was this: introduce a new CodecID for the unprocessed ASS
packets (in the same format as they are in Matroska), use
AVFormatContext.subtitle_codec_id to allow applications to select the new
CodecID if they can handle it, and make it the default after some time.

Before that, there is another tidbit necessary: allow to set
AVFMT_TS_NONSTRICT on a per-stream basis, and set it for ASS streams.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George