[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg nonfree option

longjian yu lalahohohu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 18:13:00 CEST 2012

To whom it may concern

When I do a build of *FFmpeg *with --enable-nonfree option, there are
several build result such as
libffmpeg.so,libavcodec.a,libavformat.a,libavutil.a and libswscale.a.

 I found following Help option comment.

I have a question for you.

Does the libffmpeg.so include nonfree code when I do a build of *FFmpeg *with
--enable-nonfree option?

As I understand the libffmpeg.so doesn't include any nonfree doec such as
aac codec with --enable-nonfree option.

--enable-nonfree allow use of nonfree code, the resulting libs
and binaries will be unredistributable [no]

 Let me explain why I think like above.

 I figured out there are no changes of libffmpeg.so even though I do build
with changing "nonfree" option.
But I found some changes in libavcodec.a.

So If I do a build with --enable-nonfree option there will not be any
nonfree code such as aac codec releated code in libffmpeg.so. And there
will be nonfree code such as aac codec releated code in libavcodec.a.

Please let me know my understanding is correct or not.

 Thank you.