[FFmpeg-devel] On libavfilter: A Summary of Issues

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Oct 7 20:37:52 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 01:31:12PM -0400, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 9:44 AM, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> >> There where plans to write a slow/simple API on top of the not so
> >> simple one, but as you know this did not happen yet.
> >>
> >> The good news though is if you write that *Synth wraper filter you get
> >> its API and its API docs for free too. Which would make writing our
> >> own (yet another) simple API maybe unneeded.
> There really is no point in writing one. ffmpeg can take av input as it is,
> and why on earth would you want to use it through libavfilter's C api?

why would you want to use linux?

now that question is stupid but so is yours.
You have posted a list of shortcommings of libavfilter and we would
like to improve things, adding the ability to load *synth filters
to libavfilter removes a large part of the problems you listed.
I understand that you prefer that libavfilter is removed and replaced
by vapoursynth but vapoursynth is not a replacement for it, it lacks
quiet a few things currently and we do not know if it ever will be a

So please lets try to move forward and improve, if you want to add
a filter framework as a demuxer,
sure go ahead. It certainly will have its users.
But libavfilter also has its users and at least i would like to
have the ability to use *synth filters, *synth scripts and all that
from it. if you want to implement that for us, it certainly would
make me happy and i think other people who work on libavfilter too.
You know vapoursynth so you are quite qualified to do it, but if you
dont want to, someone else should.

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.