[FFmpeg-devel] On libavfilter: A Summary of Issues

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Oct 8 13:48:44 CEST 2012

Derek Buitenhuis <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 07/10/2012 3:15 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>> I don't work on libavfilter so don't care much, allowing thirdparty
>> plugins seems very far out of style for FFmpeg.
>
>The general generic Not In House and Why Would You Ever Want To Use
>Something Not
>In Our Tree method of thought.
>
><meme>
>Maintain ALL the things!
></meme>

No, stop the user from having to cobble things together all over the place, with half of them binary blobs that don't work any more and the other half breaking when you try to use them together.
Maybe it doesn't make sense for lavfi, but you asked what FFmpeg generally stands for, and that very much is a framework, building blocks, and lots of flexible base implementations, with often others building the user-friendly and special-case stuff on top.
Well, at least it is my view.
And since you ridicule it so much: do you really think we did it wrong when we implemented all those codecs in lavc and all those formats in lavf? They almost all had various implementation already, some even source.
As said I don't object to lavfi doing it differently, but it probably would be a first for FFmpeg. (and as an aside, lots of people a long time ago predicted FFmpeg would become irrelevant because it did not support proprietary codecs while e.g. gstreamer does)