[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC Doc Camp

aviad rozenhek aviadr1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:53:46 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Michael Bradshaw <
mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2012 8:10 PM, "compn" <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> > >The Doc Camp will consist of 2 major components - an unconference and
> > >2-4 short (3 day) Book Sprints to produce books for the selected
> > >projects.
> >
> > mmm. cant even get people to read the manual, docs, mailing lists,
> > forums, howtos we have now. yay more books!
>
> I think there is a lot of useful documentation, but the primary problem I
> see is that it's scattered. What FFmpeg really needs is organized, we'll
> structured documentation and tutorials. Dranger's are the best organized
> but incompatible with the current API, and to someone just getting into
> FFmpeg and audio/video, it's not obvious how to update it all.
>
> We've got useful documentation, but it's so scattered and often
> disorganized or not presented well (i.e. a massive wall of text) that I
> think it's problematic.

have you considered using stackexchange as place to grow the community of
Q&A around ffmpeg?
there is a proposal called Broadcast and Media
Technologies<http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/36807/broadcast-and-media-technologies?referrer=YOWZ0wFlhAoqpGpL-P5bMg2>
it
needs just a bit of support [mainly, voting for what constitutes good and
interesting questions] to get off the ground. I sincerely feel it would
serve the ffmpeg community better for user questions and howtos than the
mailing list.

as an example, stackoverflow.com is a programming Q&A site built on the
stackexchange platform and it is the leading site in this regard.

if you could spare just a few minutes of your time to visit Broadcast and
Media Technologies<http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/36807/broadcast-and-media-technologies?referrer=YOWZ0wFlhAoqpGpL-P5bMg2>
and
vote for good questions, it would be amazing :-)

--
Aviad Rozenhek