[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3: Final testing - How to proceed?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Oct 23 14:33:05 CEST 2012

Quoting Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:

>> Which RGB colorspaces (except bgr0) are supported by FFv1.3 and should
>> be checked?
>
> the list of supported pixel formats is in ffv1*.c
> grep for PIX_FMT

Done.
Here's a list of PIX_FMTs which have *NOT* been tested by me so far:

PIX_FMT_RGB32

PIX_FMT_GBRP9
PIX_FMT_GBRP10
PIX_FMT_GBRP12
PIX_FMT_GBRP14

PIX_FMT_GRAY16

PIX_FMT_YUVA420P
PIX_FMT_YUVA422P
PIX_FMT_YUVA444P

I'd generate these source PIX_FMTs from the SVT SGI (=RGB48) material,
using ffmpeg as converter.

>> @Michael:
>> Except for the multipass tests, which tests are still open from your
>> point of view, before marking FFv1.3 as non-experimental?
>
> I need some statistics about the effects of various things. GOP,
> multipass, slice counts, ...
> I need them to decide on defaults and to know if ffv1.3 can/need/should
> be changed radically or if the current design is fine.
> one example of how this should look is for example:
>
>                     v1  v3 4slices v3 16slices v3 context1  2pass
> context=1 ... average worst best
> thisrgbvideo        +1% +2% +0.2%  -0.5% ...
>            +1.2%
> thisyuv444video      ...
> thisyuv420video
> thishighmotionvideo
> thislowmotionvideo
> average
> worst
> best
>
> the values in the table cells would here then be the filesize
> difference of gop=1 vs gop=12 for example
>
> based on this we can then see what effect the gop size has, if there
> are some unexpected behaviors, ...

My testscript already produces output useful for this, but needs some
slight modifications to make things easier and complete.
I'll make these modifications and report here ASAP.

Regards,
Pb