[FFmpeg-devel] relative fontconfig path

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Sep 1 23:44:37 CEST 2012

Le sextidi 16 fructidor, an CCXX, Helmut Tessarek a écrit :
> If you use this library with ffmpeg and use any options in ffmpeg that
> requires the fontconfig library (libass, drawtext), you might end up getting
> an error that libass, drawtext, and thus fontconfig cannot find its
> configuration file.
>
> To solve this you can set a environment variable FONTCONFIG_PATH, which has to
> be set before starting ffmpeg (or any other program that wants to use
> fontconfig for that matter).

That is not solving the problem, that is hiding it. The point of fontconfig
is to let applications know where to find fonts on the system. If you force
fontconfig to use a dummy config file, you completely fail at that, you can
as well not use fontconfig at all.

The font configuration is system-specific, just as the network
configuration. I suppose you are not trying to build a ffmpeg binary that
would take its DNS settings from a dummy file, are you?

You should forget your primary goal of making fontconfig accept a local path
and explain what your problem really is, as a whole.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George