[FFmpeg-devel] evaluating the experimental status of ffv1 version 3

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Sep 6 09:35:44 CEST 2012

Quoting David Rice <daverice at mac.com>:
> 	How close are we to an official ffv1 version 3?

I'm sorry for the massive delay from my side for such an incredible
long time. The test results are excellent so far, and I couldn't spot
any errors, but I did all the tests in my free time, due to lots of
other deadlined-TODOs at work :(

 From my point of view, FFv1.3 worked flawless in all my tests. The
only open issues so far on my side are:

1) Run the whole test-suite under clean conditions with different
input material (VHS, DigiBeta, ...). All tests done so far were fine,
but I've done them with 1 single source video, and while developing my
testscript. So I wouldn't guarantee for what I saw.

2) The strange fact that newer versions of ffmpeg produce larger FFv1
AVIs - even with FFv1.1

3) I haven't yet done *any* RGB tests, yet.

4) I wasn't able to do the multipass test, where the pass-statistics
are used from another file, as Michael suggested [1].

I'd love to get FFV1.3 ready to be used in production!

I've already talked to my colleague, and I will try to block the next
week for FFV1.3 stuff, so we can finally get this wrapped up.

I think RGB tests could be crossed off my list, as Dave has done
RGB-target colorspaces, right?
What's the current status of RGB >8 bit-per-component in FFv1? I think
Georg Lippitsch's patch was not clean enough to go into upstream.

Issue (1) is actually the only thing which I feel necessary before I
can fully confirm that FFv1.3 is production safe.

@Michael:
What's your opinion? Are there any parts in the code/bitstream which
you think should be examined more closely by testing?

Greetings,
Pb