[FFmpeg-devel] evaluating the experimental status of ffv1 version 3

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Sep 8 02:50:28 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 03:41:21PM +0200, Peter B. wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 08:49 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > I think if i didnt miss any tests then theres still a significnat lack
> > of tests that where run to have sufficient information on what the
> > default should be
> >
> > I think that at a minimum 10 samples that cover every combination of
> > 8bit, >8bit and RGB,4:2:0,4:4:4 should be tested
> > all tests should be done in 1pass, 2pass, and 2pass with a 1pass from
> > another file of same type.
> > all compressed file sizes should be posted here nicely formated in a
> > table, with average, best and worst differences highlighted
> > What it is to test, is gop=1 vs gop=300 for FFV1.3
> The combination of pix_fmts you mention above, is already done in my
> tests, if I understood you correctly (Except for RGB).
> I'm encoding the source into each available YUV pix_fmt supported by
> FFv1.

We really have to test with unconverted material or material that has
been converted externally. That is the input to the decoder has to be
trusted to be good not the input to our converter. We want to
exclude all variables that could affect any tests

> (btw: Is there any way to list which pix_fmts are supported by a
> certain codec? I kind of found it out by brute-force encoding - and
> reading the sourcecode)

I dont think so, a patch improving this is welcome, especially when
the choosen pixel format isnt supported, the supported ones should
be printed

What does censorship reveal? It reveals fear. -- Julian Assange