[FFmpeg-devel] evaluating the experimental status of ffv1 version 3

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Sep 8 02:59:30 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 03:34:54PM +0200, Peter B. wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 06:01 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:35:44AM +0200, Peter B. wrote:
> >
> >> 1) Run the whole test-suite under clean conditions with different
> >> input material (VHS, DigiBeta, ...). All tests done so far were
> >> fine, but I've done them with 1 single source video, and while
> >> developing my testscript. So I wouldn't guarantee for what I saw.
> > also see http://media.xiph.org/video/derf/ for more test material
> Thanks.
> I've already used that source before. Unfortunately, they only have
> HD-content with 422 subsampling max. However, they're good test-videos
> as their license is cleared.

i see 720p 4:4:4 there, also for many its not listed so i suspect
there are more

[...]
> >> @Michael:
> >> What's your opinion? Are there any parts in the code/bitstream which
> >> you think should be examined more closely by testing?
> > the effects of gop size (especially gop=1) and slice count on the
> > compression rate (especially with 2pass mode)
> >
> Roger that.
> About the 2pass mode: You said I could create a pass logfile from one
> video and use that one to encoder a completely different video, right?
> Could you please provide me a commandline example of how you do that?
> Because when I tried, it would only accept the pass logfile from the
> *same* video.

ffmpeg  -i matrixbench_mpeg2.mpg -an -vcodec ffv1 -strict -2 -slices 4 -level 3 -coder 1 -context 1 -pass 1 -g 1 ffv1.3-p1-g1.avi
ffmpeg  -i CDR-Dinner_LAN_800k.mp4 -an -vcodec ffv1 -strict -2 -slices 4 -level 3 -coder 1 -context 1 -pass 2 -g 1 ffv1.3-p2-g1.avi

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact