[FFmpeg-devel] questions about VP8 decode, we found that there seems some buggs of code

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 17:13:41 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Wei Gao <highgod0401 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/4/20 Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com>
> > On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
> > wrote:

> > > Without a sample, this is not very likely to get fixed.
> > >

> > More importantly, you have not yet shown to me that your GPU decoder is
> > correct. Dixie and libvpx are the reference implementations, does your
> GPU
> > decode match them, and does ffvp8 give different output? Or do ffvp8,
> dixie
> > and libvpx match, but GPU gives different output?
>
> Hi, our GPU vp8 dcoder is written by us and it is different from the
> libvpx, it is being debugging now.

I understand that, but that was not my question. You make the claim that
ffvp8 has a potential bug, which causes different output compared to your
GPU decoder. So we have 2 decoders, your GPU decoder and ffmpeg's VP8
decoder (ffvp8), which apparently give different output. Your claim is that
therefore, ffvp8 has a bug.

My point is, you haven't shown that yet. A bug can only be shown by showing
me a sample that causes undetermined behaviour, e.g. referencing
uninitialized or unallocated memory or something along those lines, which
can be confirmed in asan or valgrind. A bug can also be shown by giving me
a sample where ffvp8 has different output than the reference decoder, that
being dixie or libvpx.

The comparison of ffvp8 and your GPU decoder is thus largely irrelevant.
Them being different shows that at least one of the two has a bug. It
doesn't show which of the two has a bug, and doesn't rule out the
possibility that both are buggy.

Please do the following:
A) test against libvpx/dixie. If ffvp8 and libvpx/dixie match, your GPU
decoder has a bug. If your GPU decoder and libvpx/dixie match, ffvp8 has a
bug. If neither match, both your GPU decoder and ffvp8 have a bug.
B) (if ffvp8 has a bug,) please provide samples. We can't fix bugs unless
we have samples.
C) I saw some IRC communication regarding code, I am willing to explain
code where necessary, but I don't think I'm anywhere near your timezone,
and not really available much on IRC ATM, so feel free to ask for code
explanations on the mailinglist instead. I'll be happy to assist.

HTH,
Ronald