[FFmpeg-devel] OpenEXR Encoder Intentions

Vincent Olivier vincent at up4.com
Sun Apr 28 21:10:43 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-26, at 3:45 PM, Vincent Olivier <vincent at up4.com> wrote:

> On 2013-04-26, at 3:40 PM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/26/13, Vincent Olivier <vincent at up4.com> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> For your consideration, I'm stating my intention to add an OpenEXR encoder
>>> in the existing "exr.c" code that only contains a decoder for now, with the
>>> following features:
>>
>> Encoder place is in separate file, like exrenc.c
>>
>> If there is code to be shared between decoder & encoder, rename exr.c
>> to exrdec.c and add exr.c & exr.h file
>

> Makes sense. Will do. Thanks!

I forked the code on github here : https://github.com/up4/FFmpeg

I renamed libavcodec/exr.c into libavcodec/exrdec.c.

I created:

-  libavcodec/exr.c
-  libavcodec/exr.h
-  libavcodec/exrenc.c

I based the structure on the png codec.

I tried many modifications everywhere in the repository to get the configuration process to include "exr" in the list of enabled encoders, but I couldn't manage. Can someone tell me where I need to make modifications for the exr encoder to register. Also, if someone could have a look at what I did just to check if I'm on the right track.

For now, I will prototype all this using the official ILM OpenEXR library (after enquiring to their mailing list I found C exports there, actually). And then, when the mockup works, I will try to write standalone code within the FFMPEG code itself.

Thanks!

Vincent