[FFmpeg-devel] Use ffmpeg as an Android stagefright plugin

Chih-Wei Huang cwhuang at android-x86.org
Fri Aug 16 16:39:27 CEST 2013

2013/8/13 Michael Chen <omxcodec at gmail.com>:
> I was very glad to hear the news.
> it not a difficult thing  to update stagefright-plugins  to JB. but you
> should cleanup these code,  if feel  a bit chaotic.
>
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhuang at android-x86.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello ffmpeg list,
>> I'm planning to integrate the latest ffmpeg as
>> a stagefright OMXPlugin with Android-x86 4.3.
>> I found the stagefright-plugins developed by
>> Michael Chen is a good start.
>> (repo: https://github.com/omxcodec/stagefright-plugins.git)
>> But it's based on android 4.0 (ICS).
>>
>> My plan is:
>> * Update stagefright-plugins to work with
>>   stagefright of android 4.3.
>> * Make it to be a libstagefrighthw.so plugin.
>> * Create Android.mk to build ffmpeg libs.

Hi ffmpeg-dev,
I've finished item 3 so now I'm able to build ffmpeg libs
with the AOSP 4.3 tree. I've succeeded to build different
archs including x86, mips, armv7-a and armv7-a-neon.

http://git.android-x86.org/?p=platform/external/ffmpeg.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jb-x86

Is it possible to merge it in the ffmpeg upstream?

About the stagefright-plugins, I've also succeeded to
update it to build with android 4.3.
With some hacks to frameworks/av,
now I'm able to load the ffmpeg plugins and
play full hd video by the built-in Gallery2 and Youtube.
But the performance is not so good as expected.
If anyone has experience to tune the android multimedia
framework, please give me a hand.
Anyway, will publish it once I clean it up.

Regards,
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project