[FFmpeg-devel] Use ffmpeg as an Android stagefright plugin

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Aug 21 18:51:11 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:50:25PM +0800, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:
> 2013/8/21 Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>:

> >> Android build system has already defined them.
> >> (in its way)
> >
> > To speak plainly: Yes, and the settings it uses are _shit_.
>
> Well, sounds like a religious war.
> But sorry I don't want to involve.

No, rather frustration (about its complexity and obfuscatedness)
from when I tried to use it. And maybe a bit of ignorance.

> > Actually both things apply to the whole Android build system,
> > it's not needed and causes more issues than it solves compared
> > to using your own/FFmpeg's, properly designed one.
>
> I didn't ask you change your design.
> I just hope the output of configure script
> could be more friendly to other build system
> including but not limited to android.
> This could be easily be done by separating
> the output into two parts (by ifdef or anything else)
>
> If you don't like the idea, that's fine.

Personally I wouldn't object to a small and easy to maintain
change if there are some people who think it's better,
even if I'd consider it not useful personally.
Of course I'd need to see a patch to see if it's small
and easy to maintain :-)
I am also (more out of personal interest) curious why
you want to integrate FFmpeg into the Android build system
that way. Because I looked into doing that and concluded for
myself that it's only asking for pain for no benefit, compared
to just building it separately and only linking to it.
But as said, I see that I might simply be ignorant...

Regards,
Reimar