[FFmpeg-devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Extracting NTP timestamp from RTCP

Timothy Gu timothygu99 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 03:07:22 CET 2013

On Dec 4, 2013 4:33 PM, "Fred Rothganger" <frothga at sandia.gov> wrote:

> On 12/04/2013 05:08 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>

>> change the meaning of 0 with the next ABI bump or introduce a new
>> field but that might be overkill, dunno
>>

> IMHO, adding a second field is definitely overkill. It seems like the
right thing to do is define a "not set" value, whatever it is, and stick
with that. Right now it is 0, though perhaps only as an accident of
history. It makes more sense to have a special value for "not set"
different than 0, since 0 is a valid date.

> At this point I don't care either way. If this requires an ABI bump, how
do I go about submitting a patch for it?

FFmpeg tries to maintain API/ABI with Libav, and try not to break ABI as
long as possible. So you can try to use the deprecation guards as seen in
libavformat/version.h.

Timothy