[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Creating ffmpeg-distmaint mailing list

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Dec 29 14:42:38 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 01:17:36PM +0100, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   would it be good to have a distribution maintainers mailing list?
>
>   I thought about it this way:
>
>   Developers interested in fixing problems related to FFmpeg
> distribution packages (at least I would) and FFmpeg packagers
> would subscribe there.
>
>   The packagers would report run-time or build problems related
> to their packages. Fixes would be proposed and tested. Proposed
> fixes that turned out to work well would be posted to ffmpeg-devel
> and the ffmpeg-distmaint list would be notified again once the
> patches hit the repository.
>
>   My intents are (in *no* particular order)

>   - lessen the noise of distribution specific topics on ffmpeg-devel

trying to fix a non existent problem
and worse, what are "distribution specific topics"? we have none
so one cant even argue if they would not actually belong to
ffmpeg-devel and should be seen by all developers

>   - getting notified earlier and more clearly about distribution problems

That assumes that all developers read another list and do it before
they look at ffmpeg-devel, i would be quite surprised if that would
happen

>   - getting proposed patches tested more widely and quickly

how ?
besides patches belong to ffmpeg-devel

>   - getting fixes into the packages more widely and quickly

how ?

>   - having a means to broadcast things to all (interested) package maintainers
>   - attract maintainers that do not want to (fully) read ffmpeg-devel / -cvslog

agree on these 2

>   Please comment!
>
>   Especially FFmpeg packagers and developers that would be interested
> to subscribe to such a list.

I think its important to hear the oppinions of actual ffmpeg
package maintainers about this before such list is created
If they want such list? what they would use it for? why ffmpeg-devel
isnt good enough for it?

Iam a bit cocerned that important things could be missed by developers
because they would just the discussed on such new list ...