[FFmpeg-devel] commit b02493e47668e66757b72a7163476e590edfea3a force video timebase to be 0.1ms precisse at least.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 5 22:39:21 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 01:30:39PM +0100, Robert Krüger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the commit message was
>
>     The timebases before where only guranteed to be 1/fps precisse
>     and could cause AV sync errors on low fps
>
> Is there a track issue that is fixed by this? Would it be possible to
> explain how 1/fps as a timebase for the video track would cause AV
> sync errors?

there was a bug, not sure where it was reported
the issue basically is that with a 1/25 timebase you can only
specify each frames timestamp in 1/25 second precission, so you
cannot avoid av sync errors on that scale if the actual true timestamps
fall in between the representable points

one can argue about if 1/25 is good enough but consider a 1fps slide
show, there it does make a difference if everything is offset by
0.5sec

You can kill me, but you cannot change the truth.