[FFmpeg-devel] On libavfilter: A Summary of Issues

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Mon Feb 18 03:24:58 CET 2013

Clément Bœsch in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel (Fri, 19 Oct 2012
07:49:13 +0200):
>On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 03:06:58AM +0200, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
>> Likewise, I am most interested in a port of MEncoder's volnorm filter.
>> At the moment I'm postprocessing ffmpeg's output with MEncoder, merely
>> because of the volnorm filter.
>
>You'll be able to normalize volume pretty soon©, using the current
>metadata injection work in progress, ebur128 filter, and the volume
>filter.

Quoting this old message...

Carl Eugen mentioned a discussion you had with kierank on #ffmpeg-devel
two days ago:
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel-irc/2013-February/001215.html

I still like the idea of MEncoder's volnorm filter very much. Even in
one pass encoding MEncoder adjusts the volume to an acceptable level (in
my case it mostly gains volume). Would such a thing be possible with
ebur128 and metadata injection?

kierank was talking about filtering in realtime. I am looking for one
pass encoding, which looks pretty much the same. My current setup is as
follows:
1. I encode several video fragments to MP4 files (x264/aac)
2. Then I use MP4Box to concatenate these files into 1 video
This setup works fine (and speedy), but MEncoder has issues that make a
switch to FFMpeg desirable:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mencoder.user/13084

Can you give me some pointers on how I should be doing this?

Jan