[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH] Pass PRIVATE_STREAM_2 MPEG-PS packets to caller

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 24 22:37:28 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 09:56:05PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> On 24/02/13 21:50, Richard wrote:

> >>do you have an actual application that uses this ? that is has the
> >>output been tested somehow ?
> >
> >Yes, I'm working on improving DVD playback in MythTV.  There is a wealth
> >of information stored in these packets that lets the player code
> >determine, for example, when there's a timecode discontinuity, or when
> >the next block with video packets will come.  Particularly because of
> >the timecodes discontinuities, it's important to get these packets
> >*before* the discontinuities occur to be able to anticipate them.
> >
> >The contents of these packets (in a DVD context) is describe on these
> >two pages (just to give an idea of the sort of data available):
> >
> >http://dvdnav.mplayerhq.hu/dvdinfo/pci_pkt.html
> >http://dvdnav.mplayerhq.hu/dvdinfo/dsi_pkt.html
> >
> >Ideally, these packets would be delivered completely in-sync with the
> >audio/video/subpicture packets, but that doesn't seem to be possible due
> >to, as I mentioned, the buffering required for the 'normal' packets.  If
> >there is a way, I'm all ears.
>
> Sorry, in response to the question 'Has the output been tested
> somehow?', yes, I've tested this in Myth.  I don't have the code
> written yet to handle the changes but I can confirm that a new data
> stream is detected and that the packets are returned via
> av_read_frame.

what i wanted to know is if use of the packets has been tested, above
sounds like a "no"
and also how they would be used ?

ATM this patch smells wrong but i dont know what its used for so i
could be wrong and sure cant recommand how to improve it when i dont
even know what this is used for exactly

for example random buffering + no timestamps just feels wrong also
this feels a bit like a hack, to output a private stream raw like
that. we dont do that for audio or video either, there you get clean
packets one for each frame with timestamps, a codec id and various
other things

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire