[FFmpeg-devel] dcp encoding + new pixel format request/sponsorship

Michael Bradshaw mjbshaw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 05:38:16 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Michaël Cinquin <mc at michaelcinquin.com>wrote:

> On 22 janv. 2013, at 20:45, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 05:02:18PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > also we do have AV_PIX_FMT_GBRP12BE, AV_PIX_FMT_GBRP12LE and
> > AV_PIX_FMT_GBRP12
>
> Wouldn't they shift channels around going from rgb to gbr ?
>
> They are not supported by libopenjpeg ; I already tried without success to
> add them into libopenjpeg.c, apparently it's not that simple
> > Incompatible pixel format 'gbrp12le' for codec 'libopenjpeg',
> auto-selecting format 'rgb48le'

It's a bit more involved than that, particularly because those GBR pix fmts
are planar, whereas all the RGB ones are packed.

I was about to start working on your request to be able to have 12 bit (or
any other >8 and < 16) by using shifts, like Reimar suggested. However, I
just noticed OpenJPEG 2.0 has been released and I spend some time trying to
get the encoder & decoder updated to use OpenJPEG 2.0 (while maintaining
backwards compatibility with older versions).

I'm just about to post a patch for 9-15 bit RGB output for the encoder. I
haven't looked at the decoder yet; it should be fairly simple but not as
dead simple as it was for the encoder.