[FFmpeg-devel] Willing to join !

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:08:24 CET 2013

On date Thursday 2013-01-31 09:57:43 +0100, Gaetan encoded:
> Hello
>
> I would be glad to join the developper community of the ffmpeg project. I'm
> a (quite) experienced C++ developper, mainly under Eclipse/Linux, working
> for 5 years in video industry (broadcast/DCP). Now than I'm moving to a new
> job not involved in video, I'd like to stay in touch with this world and, I
> hope, give some of my experiences back to the community.
>
> I use to hack on mplayer and ffmpeg some years ago for a mobile phone
> company, but I don't think my patches reached the community due to the
> legal department of my previous employer. So, in a way, I'd like to pay my
> debt :)
>
> In long story short, I know pretty much the mxf and mp4 containers, the
> h264 (embedding in mxf and mp4, AVC-Intra, Long GOP), AAC, DNxHD, ProRes
> codec. No, I won't be able to write one codec by myself (!!), but I think I
> might help for integrating these codec in the way they should be in the
> container (most of my job was checking for file conformance).
>
> I'm also very confortable with jenkins and buildbot and all these
> automation tools, I used to write test programs to automatize compatibility
> tests on rendered files againt the HEAD version of the code, daily and
> weekly tests, to check their conformance to the expected format (number of
> stream, codec configuration, parsing the stream to check for the expected
> packets to be here,...).
>
> So, if one or these "skills" is interesting the ffmpeg community, I would
> be glad to help you on some of these subjects. Since I cannot exactly know
> what will be exactly my involvement in this project in the futur, I just
> would like to be pointed to some minor work to do in order to begin slowly
> and be able to provide relevant patches early. Which ticket do you think
> I'll be able to address easily?

If you're looking for minor work there are plenty (>500) tickets open
on trac, and I bet there is something which is relevant to your
expertise/interest. If you have interest in streaming we currently are
lacking a maintainer for ffserver, so working on that:
https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/query?status=!closed&component=FFserver

would be definitively welcome.
--
FFmpeg = Fanciful Furious Martial Powered Eccentric Glue