[FFmpeg-devel] [Bulk] Re: Status of yadif relicensing efforts and some general remarks on options of generating money for the project/developers

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 5 08:28:22 CEST 2013

On 04/07/13 22:55, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 7/4/2013 5:22 PM, Robert Krüger wrote:
>> This is not at all a fair characterization of baptiste's actions. He has
>> contributed so much code to main ffmpeg before the fork and has served as a
>> maintainer and contributor long after, that he should not be bashed for
>> doing what is both legal and IMO legitimate, i.e. to create his own fork
>> where he determines priorities and does what he wants in whatever pragmatic
>> way he deems reasonable. Many of the things he did for a lot of grateful
>> broadcast professionals would have resulted in tiring discussions or
>> rejection in main ffmpeg at the time, I assume.
>
> He purposely makes it impossibly hard to backport any fixes. They're GPL-only,
> and he has no git history, only tarball drops, so people cant actually *see*
> what he has fixed. Sorry, that's a douchebag move.

But if he forked it to implement changes that were unwelcome in the main
branch in the first place why is backporting an issue?

(I am not taking sides here, and have mixed feelings about the issues
you mention. I am merely pointing out what seems to me to be a flaw in
your paricular argument on this point)

>> Btw, I also think his opinion on this is absolutely ok
>
> I'm not even sure it's relevant. All of his code is gone save for 2 lines.

For this particular issue....

--
Tim