[FFmpeg-devel] Deleting oldabi branch

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 12:41:45 CEST 2013

On date Saturday 2013-07-06 12:35:58 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:42:29PM -0700, Timothy Gu wrote:
> > Please delete the oldabi branch in the git repo. It is 19 months old,
> > and nobody is using it anymore AFAIK.
> >
> > There is no use in keeping such a branch.
>

> Is there any old software, older versions, older checkouts of something
> refering to this branch? forum posts, mailing list posts?
> will we maybe want to bisect based on something from that branch ever?

Theoretically yes, most probably practically no. Even if so, the use
of that branch should be discouraged, since it doesn't receive
attention nor security fixes. You might publish a notice on the News
section so that in the unlikely case someone desparately needs
old-abi, she will find out why it was removed, and what should be used
instead.
--
FFmpeg = Freak & Formidable Magic Practical Extroverse God