[FFmpeg-devel] Patent issues with FFV1

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon Jun 10 22:50:18 CEST 2013

Hi ffmpeg-devel,

A colleague of mine was recently sent me this email. I removed two names from it before sending it to the list serv.

On Jun 10, 2013, at 4:06 PM, John Walko wrote:

> Dave:
>
> What do you know about potential patent issues with FFV1?
>
> We have a client we are working with…and were discussing FFV1 and JPEG 2000.  We want her to consider FFV1/Matroska.  She spoke to [ redacted name ] and another person at the [ redacted government archive ], and they raised the potential for FFV1 violating a patent…but our client had no other details.  Of course, she is now scared away from FFV1.  I’d like to research this a little more to find out what they are talking about and see if it is something we should be concerned over.
>
> Thanks;
>
> John Walko
> Media Archive Manager
> www.scenesavers.com

IIRC FFv1 hasn't undergone a thorough legal review but is also an FFmpeg-authored codec. Are there any potential patent issues with FFv1? Could such patent issues affect the future ability of an archive to decode (or encode) FFv1.

Best Regards,
Dave Rice