[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] GXF Patches - HD

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 22:19:32 CEST 2013

About 3 yrs ago, I had a set of patches for GXF that fixed some bugs and added
a few features. Most of the bug fixes made it in, but I really didn't follow
through with the feature patches. My personal build was enough for my personal
purposes, so I didn't pursue it very hard.

I recently had a request via email for those patches, but they needed some
minor re-working to be of any use. I've since been able to relocate the
patches and update them. They should apply against current head.

At the time, Baptiste Coudurier was maintainer and reviewed GXF related
patches. I assume that is still the case.

I've added support for 720p and 1080i. I could also support 1080p, but am not
sure how to differenciate the two. FFmpeg deals with timecode base in frames,
while in GXF everything is in fields. FFmpeg can handle interlaced fields, but
that seems to be mostly handled at the codec context level rather than the
stream context level. I can't see how to determine the difference between 30p
and 60i for instance. FFmpeg treats both as 30 fps. However GXF makes a
distinction in the video stream descriptors between the two. Not sure how to
work around that.

Also, I don't consider myself to have a good grasp of the ffmpeg code base at
all, so suggestions on how to deal with the fields/frames issues (or anything
for that matter) are always welcome.

Patches to be added to this thread shortly...

thanks,
-Reuben