[FFmpeg-devel] Frame dropping with mpeg2 ffmpeg decode in Handbrake

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 11:19:58 CET 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 07:14, Yuan Yeow Leow wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but here goes.
> I'm currently implementing MPEG2 DXVA decode in Handbrake which uses
> ffmpeg. The DXVA decode will make use of ffmpeg for decoding. We did this
> by switching the default MPEG2 decoder from libmpeg to ffmpeg.
>
> I found that frames were being dropped in many MPEG2 VOB files for hardware
> decoding. After switching Handbrake to using software decode with ffmpeg, I
> found the frames were being dropped with software decode as well.

You'd probably want to ask on libav-user at ffmpeg.org .

I think there's a common-sense thing to do when a "drop-in" replacement like "let's use ffmpeg instead of libmpeg" doesn't give the expected results more or less at the first attempt in a complex project like Handbrake must be. Write a minimum standalone app that implements only the function you're developing so that you can focus on getting that right, without interference from the rest of the end application. Start getting the software decoding right, and then figure out what to replace and how in order to use DXVA.
Apologies if I'm only kicking in doors that were already open at your end ;)

René