[FFmpeg-devel] -vf copy does transcode rather than copy

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Fri Nov 1 15:28:07 CET 2013

Nicolas George wrote:
> Le primidi 11 brumaire, an CCXXII, David Favor a écrit :
>> In fact, I've yet to find an example where -vf copy works at all.
>
> It works, it does exactly what its documentation says. Now, please read the
> docs and understand that -vf processes the decoded video, not the encoded
> packets, and then go away to the users mailing list.
>
> Regards,

Theirs already a ticket opened to fix the documentation... as all it says is...

     http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#copy
     Copy the input source unchanged to the output. Mainly useful for testing purposes.

Which is true... with all sorts of requirements... which aren't mentioned.
Hopefully the ticket will fix the docs.

--
Love Living Well Doing What You Love?
http://DavidFavor.com/books can help!