[FFmpeg-devel] attribute_deprecated int avpicture_deinterlace ??

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Fri Nov 29 14:48:37 CET 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kieran Kunhya" <kierank at obe.tv>
To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] attribute_deprecated int avpicture_deinterlace ??

>> Just saying that deinterlace is special case of post-processing. In other
>> words, it is more or less mandatory to produce the proper frame image.
>> Nothing else in lavfi is needed to produce the proper frame image and those
>> are just after effects.
>
> It's not mandatory to send to a professional CRT reference monitor for
> example. Just because you define the "proper frame image" that way
> doesn't mean everyone does. I assume you are happy losing temporal
> resolution as well deinterlacing 2 fields to one frame.

Mandatory for normal display usage and it's optional as always. Not sure that we are given other information to make other informed
decisions. To me this is a simple reorganization of code. Since avpicture_deinterlace is not likely to go away soon, the quickest
way to remove excess baggage is to reorganize the code and maintain avpicture_deinterlace using some common code.