[FFmpeg-devel] winter banner vote

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Oct 2 12:35:38 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:10:29AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Tuesday 2013-10-01 22:12:25 -0800, Lou Logan encoded:
> > On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:09:05 +0200, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> >
> > >   Unfortunately we have only one submitted entry by me.
> >
> > The logos/banners are a fun idea, but at this point I think our time can
> > be better spent on other things. We never really did get many
> > submissions per contest, and I feel as if it will require an unrealistic
> > investment of time and effort to achieve a satisfactory number of
> > (nice looking) submissions.

the idea was not that ffmpeg developers submit logos but that non
developers do who dont have to decide between doing this or doing that
for ffmpeg.

> > I propose we cancel the banner contests and just keep the standard logo
> > on the site indefinitely.
>
> Sure, or we can still reuse the past design, and/or put the design
> together in a goodies section on the website.

yes, also there still are several per month (not per season) logos
for some autumn/winter months from herve. And i remember thilo wanted
to draw some for random other non season occasions.

IMHO doing another seasonal logo contest is a bad idea. We have
many seasonal logos already that we can use and i imagine it must
be
dead boring for artists to draw the same thing again as a submission.

instead i would suggest we add a simple link somewhere where people
can submit logos about any theme they like and at any time they like
(trac is the obvious submission method here)

and we then just put the logos up on the right occasions, ommiting
inappropriate ones

> Another idea for the logo would be to modify it each day, applying
> every time a different combinations of filters.

possible too

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin