[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Change av_get_channel_layout() syntax

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 12:29:49 CEST 2013

Hi,

right now we set channel layouts in swr/resample specifying the
channel layout (as an integer code).

In order to switch to symbolic names, we need to switch to a new
option type for channel layout, while retaining compatibility.

To retain compatibility we need to make av_get_channel_layout() [1]
accept an integer as a channel layout mask, rather than as a number of
channels.

I propose to force the "number of channels" interpretation only when a
"c" is appended to the number (and maybe also accept "N
channels").

This will break syntax (alternatively: we break syntax for aresample,
or we break syntax at the next lavu major bump, but seems quite
overkill).

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2011-November/116452.html
--
FFmpeg = Frenzy & Fiendish Magic Practical Educated Gangster