[FFmpeg-devel] Photo-sensitive epilepsy / 'Harding' test

John Warburton john at johnwarburton.net
Sat Oct 5 00:18:38 CEST 2013

Thank you for all your work, from an Avid editor and ffmpeg compiler with a
little training in C.

I notice that the Ofcom (UK broadcast regulator) guidelines on
photo-sensitive epilepsy have been recently codified, and the description
is FAR more precise than has been available before:

Please look at Annex A in this document:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/guidance/813060/section22009.pdf

The Digital Production Partnership, which sets delivery standards for all
major UK broadcasters, states in its latest draft that tape delivery
requires a "Harding" analyser report to be submitted. However, for file
delivery, an "approved device" must be used to test the footage. At the
present stage of the published draft, there isn't a device specified. Is it
possible that ffmpeg could include a libavfilter filter that checks for
everything mentioned in Annex 1 of the document referred above? And, given
the enormous trust (whether documented or undocumented) of ffmpeg in UK
broadcasters, could ffmpeg achieve the status of an "approved device"?

I'm happy to learn more C — I get a little lost with pointers at this early
stage — to help program this. The documentation for libavfilter seems to
offer me a way to perform analysis in the spacial and temporal dimensions
on video, both of which this analysis requires: how should I begin
development in an open way, to show other developers my code without
committing to the trunk?

(next job for me: write an AVX shim to allow libavfilter to be loaded into
the Avid effects palette if the licence allows)