[FFmpeg-devel] Add version numbers information for Windows binaries

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Oct 18 13:05:22 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 04:06:01PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 17/10/13 9:39 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 05:59:20PM -0700, Timothy Gu wrote:
> >> Sherpya has already done it.
> >> https://github.com/sherpya/FFmpeg/commit/558e29b7c2dd609c3525f4cf78cc9af2aab1dea0
> >
> > interresting, and it looks simpler than the old patch
> > anyone wants to test & submit it here ?
> > "VALUE "SpecialBuild"" would need to be removed and the line endings
> > dont look correct for git.
> > also iam not sure about the icons
> >
> > also CCing sherpya
>
> This one only adds resource metadata to the exe, and it doesn't work in out-of-tree
> builds (Although i suppose it shouldn't be hard to fix).
> My version only added resource metadata for the shared libraries (Didn't bother
> with the exe since i didn't have an icon for it), but worked in out-of-tree builds
> last time i tried it, and is also configurable.
>
> The difference in complexity is basically the fact mine makes windres behave like
> other tools from binutils (Adding its own BRIEF tag and letting the user choose the
> path), and supports the libraries by adding a new subdir variable for shared lib
> objects (Maybe this can be changed to reduce bloat).
>

> All this aside, some fields' values need to be discussed. Like LegalCopyright, or
> CompanyName (The latter if it makes sense using).

I suggest to ommit CompanyName, and maybe even LegalCopyright or
maybe use the same as ffmpeg prints on the command line
or check what other FLOSS projects use as LegalCopyright and do
something similar.

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin