[FFmpeg-devel] -vf copy does transcode rather than copy

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 23:51:20 CET 2013

On date Thursday 2013-10-31 12:28:03 -0500, David Favor encoded:
> Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> The copy filter states...
>
>    http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#copy
>    Copy the input source unchanged to the output. Mainly useful for testing purposes.

Yes, and you should read the above text in context, and have a working
understanding of the ffmpeg processing fundamentals (hint: bitstream
copy and filtering is not possible at the same time, please read the
fine introductory part of the ffmpeg manual).

I think we should warn and/or abort in case filtering and copy is
enabled at the same time, in order to spare such reports and save some
time to both us and users.

I believed there was an open ticket about this but I was probably
wrong as I couldn't find it.
--
FFmpeg = Frenzy and Free Mournful Philosophical Elected Goblin