[FFmpeg-devel] h.265 decoding support

Dirk Farin dirk.farin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 18:57:23 CEST 2013

2013/9/2 Timothy Gu <timothygu99 at gmail.com>

> On Sep 2, 2013 6:09 AM, "Dirk Farin" <dirk.farin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > here is a patch to add h.265 decoding via libde265
> > which I just released a week ago:
> >   https://github.com/strukturag/
> >
> > The decoder is a cleanroom implementation of h.265
> > without any reference software code in it. It is intra-only
> > at the moment, but I will add inter slices next. libde265
> > is LGPL.
> >
> > Sample streams encoded with the HM10.1 reference encoder
> > can also be found at the url above.
>
> Is it possible for you to implement a libavcodec-native decoder instead of
> adding a new external library? We can probably reuse some of the h264
> decoding asm for hevc.

I probably cannot make it libavcodec-native because our goal with this
library is to add features and an API that is very specific to the
application
(video-conferencing / screen-sharing) we want to use it for.

The long-term plan is that after completing the inter-frame support, to also
add encoding, but that's still a few weeks ahead.

Dirk