[FFmpeg-devel] How much work would it be to add support for custom metadata to mov container?

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon Sep 9 20:26:44 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sep 9, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Nikolai Weibull <now at disu.se> wrote:
> How much work would it be to add support for custom metadata to mov container?

It would be preferable to review existing QuickTime tags first before using custom metadata which will likely cause interoperability issues.

> It’s very irritating to see ffmpeg output metadata to the terminal
> that it’s claiming that it’s outputting to the mov just to find that
> the resulting mov doesn’t actually include any of it.
>
> I would love for ffmpeg to, for example, retain the location metadata
> that the iPhone stores in the videos that I record using it.

I started a patch to extend QuickTime metadata mapping here: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/153581

This might help get you started.
Dave Rice