[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Donations & hw for FFmpeg developers

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at mail.de
Wed Sep 11 11:50:27 CEST 2013

> Are there any FFmpeg developers who need faster hardware for their
> work on FFmpeg ?
>
> If there are, i think we should make a list of who needs what.
> Then people and companies could donate either hw or money to that
> developer directly or over SPI for that hw.
>
> And there are many companies who would benefit from developers being
> able to work more efficiently and faster ...
> Also faster hw would mean fate tests run faster and developers would
> less often skip them which would translate into fewer breakages in
> git.
> bisecting regressions would proportionally speed up with faster hw
> and so on ...

I would propose to add a new ticket type like "sponsoring request" or similar to
Trac. Then create a new report for these tickets and have a direct link to that
report on the webpage.

Tickets can give a better description of what to expect from the view of a
potential sponsor than a plain table entry. Also, amongst further advantages,
they are easier to maintain than a list directly on the webpage, for example.

Btw there has also been a question during the VDD of how to help us besides
directly giving money - e.g. by using a companies hardware infrastructure,
making specs accessible etc. Next to that such needs could also be reflected by
a ticket, we might continue that discussion started during VDD here.

-Thilo