[FFmpeg-devel] [HELP] How to regression-test hwaccel/VDPAU?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Sep 17 20:52:55 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 08:36:51PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> There currently is no way I know of that would allow using FFmpeg to
> compare the output of the old and new VDPAU decoders or in general
> regression-test hwaccel code, doubly so when the corresponding
> hardware is not available.
> Unfortunately the best solution I can think of is basically hacking
> in a special "pretend-VDPAU" into ffmpeg.c.
> That seems quite ugly and probably won't even be able to make use
> of e.g. the framecrc demuxer for easy reference data generation.
> Have any of you ever thought about this? Or do you have any ideas?
> If not, do you think such a hack would be acceptable?

I think _some_ form of regression testing for VDPAU and hwaccel in
general would be quite important.
One (but certainly not the only) reason is that as it is currently
when i merge changes related to VDPAU, i cant / dont know how to test
if the merged code is ok. if "make fate" or make fate-vdpau or
something, like that would run a series of tests this would be quite
usefull for making sure i and others dont break it which would then
also directly benefit user applications and userw who use
vdpau & hwaccel

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know. -- Lao Tsu