[FFmpeg-devel] rectification filter

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Aug 10 17:50:13 CEST 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 03:36:04PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le tridi 23 thermidor, an CCXXII, Paul B Mahol a écrit :
> > It is not mandatory(but it would be nice) to add other methods to have
> > this filter included into libavfilter.
>
> Is it really a good idea? We would end up with various interpolation /
> anti-aliasing algorithms implemented in each filter that needs it, none of
> them with the same set of architecture optimizations and each with its own
> set of bugs and misfeatures.
>

> Until someone comes up with a really satisfactory solution, I believe the
> simple solution of suggesting users to upscale before the filter and
> downscale after, using the optimized lswr scalers, is better.

thats not practical
a 1024x768 image would need to be upscaled to 262144x196608 to get
8bit precission from a nearest neighbor resampler as basis

also see vf_perspective.c which supports bilinear and bicubic
interpolation, these surely could be shared and exist already.

of course we could push it with just nearest neighbor and work on that
later, but i dont think only nearest neighbor and leaving it at that
is a reasonable choice, its too poor quality wise

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf